Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe



My son loves to eat ranch dressing with his veggies. In fact, that is the only way I can get him to eat any at all. A couple days ago we ran out of our Hidden Valley ranch. Since I am trying to feed my family as much homemade food from scratch as possible, I decided to try making it myself. I was surprised how simple to was to make. If you have a large variety of spices in your cupboard, you can probably make it without going to the store. It's not going to last as long as the store bought stuff because its lacking all the preservatives, but that's a good thing. And if you were wondering... my son loved it. He kept saying "mmm", every time he bit into a ranch covered carrot stick! If you know of any other outstanding ranch recipes, please share them with me!!

The recipe I used is thick for veggie dipping but you could also substitute buttermilk to make it thinner for salads. Just use 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1/2 mayo instead of what is listed below.

Ingredients:

1 cup reduced-fat olive oil mayonnaise (any mayo will do)
1/2 cup reduced-fat all natural sour cream (any sour cream will do too)
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Yields 1 1/2 cup of ranch

Time: 35 minutes prep time

Directions:

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.



Cover and refrigerate leftovers for up to two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment