Monday, December 5, 2011

Cheesy Au Gratin Potato Recipe


I have noticed a trend in my cooking over the past several months. I have been focused on comfort foods. It may be because its the holiday season, or that I recently moved to freezing cold Colorado or maybe its because I am nearing my 8th month of pregnancy. :) Anyway, this dish is great comfort food. Who doesn't love cheesy, creamy potatoes with a hint of garlic? I served it on Thanksgiving and it was a great hit. I tried to get feedback from my husband about what to change for the next time I make it and he told me "don't change a thing".  Hope you enjoy!


Ingredients:


4 Russet potatoes, sliced to 1/4 inch slices
1 medium yellow onion, diced 
Salt & pepper to taste
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded


Yields a side for 5-6 people


Time: 10-30 minutes prep (depending on how you cut the potatoes) and 1 hour 45 minutes cook time.


Directions:


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 baking dish. Layer dish with sliced potatoes and gently mix in diced onions. 


In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Mix in flour and salt, stirring with a whisk for about 1 minute. 

Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once and continue stirring until melted, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. 


Pour cheese mixture over potatoes and gently combine so all the potatoes are covered. Lightly top with additional cheese (optional). I used freshly grated aged Parmesan cheese.


Cover tightly with non-stick foil or foil sprayed with cooking spray and cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are soft and the liquid is absorbed. 

If you like a crusty top, remove foil 15-20 minutes before taking out of the oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment