Saturday, October 15, 2011

Raspberry Jam Recipe



We ran out of jam a couple days ago. Usually we get Smucker's Strawberry Jam. I thought it would be fun to make some strawberry jam for myself and some friends. Unfortunately, the store I went to was out of strawberries. I grabbed a couple packages of raspberries and decided to give that a try instead. I only made a little bit because I wanted to make sure my family would like it, they loved it! The recipe was very easy and took less than 30 minutes.  I used less sugar than the recipe called for and added some lemon juice because I like it tart. It has a really intense flavor because there is no pectin diluting it.  It turned out exactly the way I wanted it too. 

Ingredients:

12 ounces of fresh raspberries, washed 
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon of butter
*you need a potato masher for this recipe

Yields 1 1/4 cup of jam

Time: 30 minutes

Recipe:

Heat oven to 250 degrees f. Pour sugar on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes to warm up (Warm sugar dissolves better than room temperature).

In a large saucepan add raspberries, butter, and lemon juice. Turn heat on high and bring to a hard boil for 1 minute, mashing constantly. 


Add warm sugar and return to boil. Let boil until mixture forms a gel, about 5 minutes. 

You will know it is ready when you dip your spoon in the mixture, turn it horizontally and the drip is the consistency of thick honey. 

Pour into a sterilized container, wait for it to cool, seal, and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment