Saturday, October 15, 2011

How to Make Butter, Whipped Cream, and Buttermilk By Hand





Today I am planning on making homemade bread and jam, so why not make some homemade butter too? The only thing I really know about making butter is that people used to churn it for a long time back in the day. But can it be done nowadays without a churn? After some investigation I learned that it's easy to do at home. If you have a stand mixer it is really easy. Apparently it only takes 90 seconds to turn cream into butter that way. I don't have a mixer yet so I had to do mine another way. This way is easy but a little labor intensive. I am not going to make all my butter this way because I bake a lot, but I think it will give a meal a special touch when it's an accompaniment or on bread.


Ingredients:


1 cup heavy whipping cream (yields about 1 cup whipped cream, or 1/3 cup of butter and 1/3 cup buttermilk)
1 jar with a tight lid


Time: 15 minutes of shaking


Recipe:


Pour the cream into the jar and seal. 




Shake vigorously. After about 5 minutes you won't hear the liquid move anymore, this is whipped cream (I was too excited to stop and take a picture at this point, but you know what whipped cream looks like anyway :) ). You can add a drop of vanilla and some sugar and serve, or...

Keep shaking...

After another 5 minutes you will see and hear liquid again. This is the buttermilk separating from the butter. Shake for another minute or two to get separate the two well. 



Pour buttermilk into a storage container. 



There will be some buttermilk residue in the jar with the butter. You need to remove this to  increase shelf life.  To do this, make an ice water bath. Pour some of the water (and no ice) into the jar. Seal and shake for about 30 seconds. Dump out the liquid. Repeat until water runs clear. 

Viola! Butter and Buttermilk! I bet you didn't know it was that easy. Seal and refrigerate both.

Things to consider adding to the butter
 (not at the same time):
Sea Salt
Honey
Parsley, Salt and Garlic



No comments:

Post a Comment